Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Retirement, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA



I never get tired of this spot on Manomet bluff: the curve of the bay, Stage Point in the distance, the grand house, and the dark blue waters of Cape Cod Bay. If I am taking my daily walk starting from home, I will always detour past here to just soak it in for a moment. If I don't create and string together beautiful moments, it won't get done - no one else can do it for me.

I realize that I am very fortunate to be able to enjoy a retirement. Many people don't get that luxury. Retirement is not a natural state of being. One must learn how to "be retired" just like learning how to do any activity in life. Since I was a working person for 40+ years, it was/is difficult to slow down and adjust to the more deliberate and less driven lifestyle that retirement offers. It took me a while to get the hang of it.

I am one of those people who set goals and dreams to reach toward. Retirement was always that magical endpoint in the far off future. And then suddenly, one day, I was carrying a box out of my office with all my personal effects for the final time. I was "retired." Very disorienting.

I love that in the Spanish language, the word "retired" translates as "jubilado." That sounds like it is somehow derived from the root "jubilant" in English. And jubilant is what I felt upon reaching the goal of retirement.

But once the initial novelty of being retired wore off, I needed to dangle myself more carrots to reach towards, more goals to seek.

I have usually not been content to just "be." Whether programming, habit, or choice - I led a driven lifestyle. As I reflect, I am not sure if that condition was a blessing or a curse.

But I know this: I am definitely not ready for the television and a recliner chair.


2 comments:

  1. Facing retirement soon, I completely understand your point of view. I think the most successful retirees are those who have something to retire to, not from. I am pleased with my accomplishments but I'm ready to turn over the baton to someone younger and with more energy.

    ReplyDelete