Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Monday, April 16, 2018

Cornell University Campus, Ithaca, New York, USA



Since legal parking is possible in some places for a non-permit holder after 5pm or on the weekends, I decided to pay an evening visit to the Cornell campus to wander about and see what I could see. With my fondness for the highest vantage point, I was particularly interested in the clock/bell tower shown above. How can I get up there? The sky started out cloudy but then as if on cue.......



.. the clouds dissipated and the sun broke through and magically, students appeared spontaneously to sit on the hillside and enjoy the late afternoon sunshine.



Even though the terrain is often steep, it is a fine campus to wander about. I expect after four years as a student, most leave with strong calf muscles.



Sunlight streamed through this walkway between buildings.



I wandered over by the door to the tower and, lo and behold, there was a sign posted saying a bell concert would occur in just a few minutes. It is sometimes better to be lucky than good. At the appointed time, the door opened and I, along with perhaps twenty other people, started the trudge up the 161 stairs to the top. And oh, what a view there was ........



....looking out from the tower. It's still hazy but you get the idea of the location. That's Cayuga Lake in the distance stretching off towards the horizon. The lake is about 40 miles long.



And looking the other direction, these cool buildings were close by.



Although I spent a few minutes up top in the belfry with the bells ringing, even I who likes loud music, had to plug my ears with my fingers when up by the bells.



Here is the instrument that creates the bell music: the playing stand for the Cornell Chimes. Each of the 21 levers, some played by hand, some by foot, are physically connected by the metal rods and cables to the clappers in the bells above.



Each year, a competition is held to select Chimesmasters. Criteria: ability to read music, balance on one foot, and climb 161 stairs. Seriously.



Three times a day when classes are in session, the Chimesmasters perform a short concert. Some pieces required two people - four hands and two feet between them.



It was a way cool experience - I can't wait to do it again! I recommend it highly - if you are able to climb the 161 steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment