Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Boats, Cape Cod Canal, Bourne, Massachusetts, USA

One of the pleasures of walking along the canal is watching the boats go by.  It is always a thrill for a few moments to watch as they pass.  I imagine where they've been and where they are going. Each one carries a piece of me with them to their exciting and exotic destinations.

Boats are dreams in motion - they evoke a sense of a faraway place in an instant.

And in the "gee whiz" department - it is possible, perhaps not practical though, to travel by boat in a straight line on this planet for almost 20,000 miles!  If you start in Pakistan and proceed southward along the African continent, thence between the tip of South America and the Antarctic, and thence onward to the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia you will have made a straight line trip of about 20,000 miles - who'd have thought. Here's a video at this link.

And no, I do not now, nor have I, nor will I, ever own a boat.  I always remember the comment I heard years ago from people who did/do have boats, " a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." 


No comments:

Post a Comment