Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Brooklyn Bridge and Park, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA

 

On my last visit, I missed seeing the 85-acre Brooklyn Bridge Park in Brooklyn with a nice view of lower Manhattan and next to the iconic namesake bridge. I also missed walking the bridge on a weekend day so, off I went again to have both of these experiences.



A nice day for a sail on the East River. Lower Manhattan in the background.



Though it is kind of hot outside today, 90-ish, some folks opt for a picnic on the grass in the Brooklyn Plaza Park.



A walk through the nearby neighborhood adjacent to the bridge. And yes, this is very expensive real estate.



As I turned to walk up the stairs onto the bridge, this was my view to the north - it's part of the Manhattan Bridge in the distance.



There were lots of people on the bridge even in the 90+ degree weather. Mid-river span there was a respite with a wonderful cooling breeze blowing off the water from the south. Lower Manhattan is in the distance at left. On this wooden slatted path, bicycles have the right side and pedestrians have the left side of the white line. Of course, that means there could be four streams at any given time, two in each direction. It can get a bit tight sometimes.



I made the mistake of stopping mid-path for a photo (though I was on the pedestrian side of the line).  I was immediately screamed at by an irate local New York accented woman, "HEY YOU, DON'T STOP THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PATH, WHAT ARE YOU, STUPID?  PEOPLE GET RUN OVER BY BICYCLES AND KILLED DOING THAT AND YOU'RE BLOCKING THE PATH FOR OTHERS." I moved over and didn't argue, polite and clueless tourist that I apparently am. As you can see, I stayed at the side to capture this image above.



It being a summer-like weekend day, there were gazillions of walkers, joggers, bicyclers, scooters, vendors - masses of humanity enjoying one of the great wonders of New York City - walking the Brooklyn Bridge. It's been open here since 1883. I don't think I'd visit the city without planning to make this walk. What a delight! 


3 comments:

  1. guess you missed all the riots and demonstrations going on in Washington Park, eh? guess you missed all the homeless pissing and shitting on the streets too, eh? guess you missed all the bordered up store fronts also, eh? people see what they want to see. obviously you chose (incorrectly) to see the good (if there is such a thing in NYC?) or you just closed your eyes to reality. NYC is a shithole. and you walked right through it. see any cops? see any thugs? with your sights up in the sky you missed the real NYC. pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have published thousands of blog posts over the past decade. My intent in each one is to share images and words of beauty and/or humor and/or positivity.

      Delete
  2. WE do all choose to see what we want to see. I, like Joe, choose to look at the good and the beauty in the world, wherever I am. That doesn't mean I am oblivious to the bad. I choose to work to correct the bad, but just dwelling on the bad doesn't lift anyone up. Showing them the good and what can be, does.

    ReplyDelete