Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, May 1, 2014

On the Road to Montecarlo, Lucca, Tuscany, Italy

Along the road to Montecarlo, it didn't matter whether I was looking forward or backward, the view was the same - breathtakingly beautiful.

Montecarlo (not visible above) is a small, walled, hilltop town about 10 miles east of Lucca. The Apuan Alps, part of the Apennine Mountains, are in the distance north of the area. The town and castle/fort have been around since the 1300's. The views along the road getting there and views from on the hilltop were spectacular. It is a popular area for growing olives and grapes and one of the locations along the designated Wine and Olive Oil Trail.

Panorama - click to view in full width.

Olive trees and grapevines cover the hills surrounding this estate.

A lone purple flower in a sea of green and gold.

A hilltop farm, olive trees in the mid-distance.

More olives and grapes - no wonder olive oil and wine are staples at the table in this area of Italy.

If this is what a true Mediterranean climate looks and feels like, count me in. I lived in Southern California for almost 20 years and it didn't look like this even though it purports to have a Mediterranean-like climate. Hmmmm.

Olives trees, grapevines, and cypress trees - nature's icons in this area of Italy - not to mention the light. What a glorious quality of light late in the afternoon as the shadows deepen.

I just love how the planted vines so sensuously trace the curve of the terrain in this image. It is my favorite in this series - well, except for all my other favorites.

There wasn't much daylight left when I arrived at the town so I didn't make many images this time.

 So my last comment suggests there needs to be another time.

Looks like the idea for a return trip is starting to germinate.........

Sometimes in the blog I do go on about how spectacularly beautiful some sight or other appears to me. But really, this is one of the prettiest areas I've seen in the world.  So many of the places I've seen in just this small part of Italy all struck me that way.  I'd say the idea of a return trip is way past the germinating stage. I get it - Tuscany - I am yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment