Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Bagni di Lucca and the Devil's Bridge, Lucca, Tuscany, Italy

Bagni di Lucca has been known for it's hot springs for more than 2000 years dating back through both the Roman and Etruscan eras. Today, tourists still visit for the same reason, or, ..........

....to enjoy a brief rest at a delightful cafe/restaurant directly across from the bridge over the Lima river. The time had gotten away from us and we did not spend as much time in town as I would have liked. There are perhaps a dozen other nearby villages that dot the river valley and adjacent hillsides and mountains. Maybe next time.....  

In the short time I was there, through unbelievable serendipity, I met a blogger whose posts I had read from home long before this trip. What are the odds of such a chance meeting?  She has much better information about Bagni than I do and can be found at this link at Bagni di Lucca and Beyond

Moving on though, we needed to get to Ponte della Maddelena before the light was gone for the day......

A few miles down the river from Bagni di Lucca in Borgo a Mozzano stands the 1000-year old Ponte della Maddalena, in English, the Bridge of Mary Magdalene. It is also known as "the Devil's Bridge." The story being that the builders made a pact with the devil to help build the bridge. In return, the devil would receive the soul of the first to cross the bridge. The locals outwitted the devil by luring a pig across first.

This view is from the bridge's highpoint as daylight fades in the Serchio river valley. I am amazed that this panorama was possible.  As I panned the camera, I noted the exposure speed was 1/30 second.  Amazing technology that allows a moving camera to make multiple images at such a slow speed and still sandwich them together into a fairly sharp final composite.

An old VW bug (maybe 1968?) parked along the bridge area. There is an ample parking area to visit the bridge and the restaurant/bar/shops across the street.

The bridge is lighted at night on both sides but seemed to randomly cycle the lights on and off.

View from the north side of the bridge.

View from the south side. I think this blurred, grainy image demonstrates the limits of my hand-held point and shoot technology.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention. It was fun to meet you in Ponte a Seraglio. There are more than 25 villages in Bagni di Lucca to explore, so you will have to come back one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're already starting to plan a return!

      Delete
  2. Hi Joe, I am a begging artist, working with colored pencil. My 96-year old mother asked me to draw her a picture of a village in Italy ( her parents came from there), I googled small towns in Italy and some of your photos came up. They are beautiful and inspiring. I wanted to ask if you mind if I drew using my interpretation. I want to give my mom the finished work and would like to share with a couple of drawing groups I belong to..as we share while learning. Could I ask for your permission? thank You in advance..Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, please feel free to do as you have requested.

      Delete
  3. Hi Joe, I am a begging artist, working with colored pencil. My 96-year old mother asked me to draw her a picture of a village in Italy ( her parents came from there), I googled small towns in Italy and some of your photos came up. They are beautiful and inspiring. I wanted to ask if you mind if I drew using my interpretation. I want to give my mom the finished work and would like to share with a couple of drawing groups I belong to..as we share while learning. Could I ask for your permission? thank You in advance..Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You, Joe! I will share my finished project when completed...I really love your blog..and photos, My husband and I are beginning to plan our retirement..probably about semi in a couple of years and hopefully full in five. We are plan some travel. My husband is a part-time musician and may have a gig in Hungry in 2016, so excited to travel. Kim

    ReplyDelete