Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, December 5, 2014

Walking Man Walks, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

When I walk, I carry my phone so I can use the built-in pedometer function.  The goal is always 10,000 steps each day, which works out to about 5 miles. I often reach the goal unless some old man ailment acts up and I have to limp home.

If it's cold or windy or snowy, I dress accordingly.  If it's raining, I stay home - rain is usually just annoying for walking to an eyeglass wearer like me. If I am alone, sometimes I wear earbuds to listen to music or sometimes I just listen to the sounds of the universe like birdsong or crashing waves. 

I have mentioned the wooden stairways to the beach many times in this blog. Here is an unusual example of stone steps to the beach - they hold up better than wood and blend into the background, too.

As a lone old man walking midday, midweek, usually I only encounter like types - other old men walking - or, more commonly, no one at all.

And yes, I miss the rough-and-tumble of a well-worked day but, wandering around and enjoying the beauty of the world is a pretty fine way to spend time also. Walking a familiar route but always looking for something new - like these gold-plated leaves flanking this stoop. It's an interesting challenge - to try to see the familiar as new.


No comments:

Post a Comment