Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, October 9, 2014

First Encounter Beach, Eastham, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Every fall after the beach crowd is gone and the town doesn't charge an entrance fee, I try to make a trip to First Encounter Beach in Eastham on a certain day.  I time it so that the low tide occurs at just about sunset (and If I'm really good, also the moonrise).  Those two events create a beautiful natural scene.  By the way, I would normally reject this image because as I panned the camera from left to right, my motion was not smooth so it looks like the horizon is not flat - but I like the quirkiness of it this time - it looks a bit other-worldly when combined with the fireball sun/cloud.

View to the north. (Panorama - click on the image to view in full width).

Digging for clams.


As the tide recedes and the sun sinks toward the horizon, the ribbons of sand become more visible.


Playing fetch with the pooch.

A stroll on the ribbons of sand.

First Encounter Beach is where the Pilgrims first encountered the local Native American Nauset people in 1621 while on a hunting expedition from Provincetown Harbor. It's a beautiful spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment