Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Winter, South Carolina, USA


Roughing it in early February - neither snow nor ice in sight.

Lunchtime at Joe Pasta on King Street in Charleston. The temperature was almost 80 degrees Fahrenheit and without the umbrellas it would have been too hot in direct sunlight - not a bad problem to have for New Englanders in the dead of winter. (Josie at left, Amy at right).

And speaking of food, the plate above demonstrates one of those Southern specialities: boiled peanuts.  At the top of the plate, after boiling, the shells turn dark; at left, the boiled peanuts after shelling; and at right, what happens if you press the boiled peanuts with the back of a spoon - it makes peanut mush - definitely not peanut butter. I've eaten thousands of peanuts in my life - but never once did I say to myself: "gee, I wonder how they would taste if I boiled them?"  I guess it's a Southern thing. Follow this link if you want to order some for your very own!


No comments:

Post a Comment