Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, March 4, 2016

Hats - Again, Seville, Andalusia, Spain



In my travels I have leaned that caring for my head and feet are the two most important personal protection items of which to be mindful. This post is about hats.

I don't know what it is about me and hats when I am on vacation but, once again I need one. I am in Spain needing a hat to protect my skin from the sun. Avoiding more skin cancer is a strong motivator. Many of you recall a post I did in Charleston, SC, a few years back on the subject of hats.( at this link. ) (The above hat is not from Spain, it is my home hat).

Unfortunately, for this trip, I forgot to pack my home hat in my already overfilled suitcase so now, I need to buy something here that's not very expensive, protects my ears, neck, nose and cheekbones, doesn't look too dorky, and blends in with the local cultural norms - and isn't too big, too little, too dark, too light, well-ventilated, keeps my head cool, not too warm, keeps me dry, is wind-proof, and on and on and on.......... I have life-long "issues" with hat-buying and wearing.

And don't even get me started on keeping track of it when I take it off inside a building.........a cord? a leash? wear it around my neck? put it on the table? use a separate chair for it? hang it on my chair? attach an electronic homing device? attach a proximity warning that beeps on my phone or sends an electrical shock when it gets more than two meters away from me?

Let's just move on - leave me alone with my neurosis.



Here's the hat I bought last year in Paris - it doesn't protect enough skin from the sun - nor from birds of prey - but it does make me speak with a French accent and I did pack it this year so I'm wearing it during the search. Où est la bibliothèque?



Here's my current rain hat - really just the hood of my coat - but mostly effective. Those are some mighty impressive door handles, no?



I tried this one on here in Spain. Not quite right - too light colored - looks more like Italy - and not a big enough brim for protection.



But now this one. I really like this one and it got the Amy seal of approval so, I officially declare it the winner.......until next time. Maybe I should just stay home............I don't wear a hat inside ......... yet.

The next post covers shoes......

Note: Thanks to Amy for all the pix except the first image.

1 comment: