Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, March 4, 2016

Shoes - 10,000 Steps - Walking About, Seville, Andalusia, Spain



In my last post, I mentioned the importance of caring for my head and my feet when traveling. This post is about my feet. That means comfortable shoes. Never bring new, unproven shoes. I must be one with my shoes before they leave home with me.

I am a walking man - and a walking man walks. I walk to stay fit, to fight cardiac disease, and because I'm a tourist I need to be out and about walking.

Pictured above are my trusty Merrills. On the left, my current pair of shoes.  On the right, my backup pair for just-in-case something happens to my current pair. Like maybe if they get soaking wet walking in a rainstorm, for example.  I also brought a pair of Merrill house shoes. (Part of the reason my suitcase is too big and heavy).

Maybe they aren't very manly or stylish but, at my age, I don't care and I don't have to. The shoeshine men look at my feet as I walk by and scowl - no leather to shine. Few things are more important than mobility and I value it ever more highly as I get older. These feel good on my feet - period.

When the weather is always between 45-75 F as it has been here, it makes for great walking about conditions so reaching my daily 10,000 step goal has been easy. (Generally, 2000 steps is equal to one mile). Here are my daily totals during the first few weeks.

14,872
10,263
11,547
16,414
13,474
16,292
12,347
23,361
13,590
12,434 (a rainy day)
12,904
13,512
19,449
12,697
12,576
11,253

If you are a traveler, take care of your feet. It won't be a very pleasant trip if you have sores, blisters, or other foot discomfort.

Note: I am not affiliated with the Merrill company nor do I receive compensation - but, ever thrifty, I would gladly accept free shoes if you know anybody at Merrill? Nudge, nudge, hint, hint.


No comments:

Post a Comment