Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

In Honor and Remembrance of Notre-Dame de Paris, the City of Paris, and all of France



In February of 2015, I visited Notre-Dame de Paris. I didn't know then that it might be my last in this lifetime. One never knows when one has seen a sight or held a loved one close for the very last time. I am now 66 years old - I don't know if they can restore this precious icon and open it again to the public within my remaining years. I have heard estimates for reconstruction of years to decades.

I pay tribute and honor to the citizens of Paris and France for the recent tragedy that has befallen the grand Notre-Dame. I mourn with you.

The following images and text were made on my visit in 2015 and I reproduce them here in remembrance:



I am not a formally religious man but, wandering around in Notre-Dame was truly a powerful emotional experience. The grandeur and history of this almost thousand year-old church was awe-inspiring. As it was a Sunday, regular Mass was ongoing for the hundreds who attended; all the while tourists were circulating at the periphery, almost all with their smart phone cameras, tablets, point-and-shoots, or DSLRs - it seemed that everyone had a photographic device of some kind to record this special place and moment in their life.







The side aisles were less crowded with worshippers than the central nave. The nave is to the right on the other side of the marble columns in this image.



Not everyone could focus on the Priest's words - this sweet child chose quiet dancing and twirling instead.



The line to get in was about 100 meters/yards long but it shuffled along quickly and once inside, it did not feel very crowded. There is no admission fee.







Marble statue of Joan of Arc.



Soaring ceilings and details had many visitors walking around with their necks craned upward - including me.







The light streaming in the stained glass windows was ethereal.




This wood replica helps to appreciate the scale and complexity of the entire structure. The actual building construction began in 1163 and continued for almost 200 years.


1 comment:

  1. My husband and I have made several trips to Paris. As someone with ancestors from every corner of France, I was awestruck on my first visit. It was the Mother Church for me. i am devastated and share your concern about the time it will take to restore.

    ReplyDelete