Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, December 13, 2018

A Night On the Town - Hangar Theatre Company, Ithaca, New York, USA



To put me in the seasonal holiday mood, I attended a wonderful production of the Charles Dickens classic, "A Christmas Carol," at Ithaca's Hangar Theatre Company. This timeless story is always a pleasure.

"The Hangar Theatre opened in 1975 in a renovated municipal airport hangar. This unique conversion was made possible by a grant from Nelson Rockefeller and the combined efforts and support of the Ithaca Repertory Theatre, Cornell University, Ithaca College, and the City of Ithaca." (Source: Hangar Theatre Website).

After the run of this holiday classic, the next major theatrical season begins in June 2019 with "Or, What She Will," followed by "Into the Woods," "Kinky Boots," "Little Women," and "Big Play Festival!" Other types of events and performances round out the full year in this all-season venue.



I really liked this 340-seat venue. Seating on three sides of the rotating stage and perfectly inclined audience tiers meant that everyone in every seat had a great sight line to the action.



My only unfulfilled wish from this production is that I didn't get to have the kind of raise-the-roof-thunderous-power-ensemble choral number that I am partial to hearing every time I go to the theatre - even a drama, I don't care - I still want a powerful blast to my senses that sends shivers up my spine, tears well up in my eyes, and I am oh-so-happy to be alive to hear/see/feel the beautiful harmony by great talent. I want that wall of sound from human voices that pushes me back in my seat with its sheer power. But that's my issue not this venue's. 

I am reminded of many of the shows at my home theatre, "Priscilla Beach Theatre," in southeastern Massachusetts. Their production numbers often provide just such a thrill.

Notwithstanding my whining, The Hangar Theatre provided a first class theatre experience in every respect and I look forward to a return visit opportunity in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment