Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, November 22, 2018

Out and About, Ithaca, New York, USA



What is it that gives a town its character? Why does one town feel like you never want to leave and others you can't leave soon enough? Except for the wintry cold, Ithaca is one of those towns that feels like I would want to stay forever.

This is a view down State Street in downtown Ithaca. The venerable State Theatre is on the left side of the street. The 1600-seat venue was opened in 1928.  I haven't been to a show there yet but, I'm hoping.



It's a walk-able downtown filled with street art, restaurants, shops, old hippies, new hippies, students, professors, tradespersons, professionals, the full spectrum of ethnicities, races, religions, and sexual orientations. It always pleasantly surprises me the energy and vibe that a "college town" can imbue in a community. Ithaca enjoys the presence of both Cornell University and Ithaca College on that point.

Ithaca College runs an FM radio station (FM 91.7 WICB) that plays an eclectic range and selection of great music just like you expect and might remember from your early twenties in a college town. As an FM radio fan, I feel at home here since the sound is much like Boston's Emerson College (FM 88.9 WERS) which runs a similar edgy, hip college music station.



There are stately grand old houses.



And this popular downtown style house is even painted in "Priscilla Beach Theatre Red." Hear that Sherwin Williams? the color should not be named "Crabby Apple." It deserves something grander - like "Priscilla Beach Theatre Red." I don't know it for a fact and I don't speak for them but, I can imagine the owners might be willing to license their name to your paint color and spread their name even wider around the big Sherwin Williams paint world. Give it a thought or - at least a smile.



I'd love to call this place home. Of course, it's not for sale and I can't afford it anyway but, it's worth a dream.



As I said, it's a walk-able town - or bicycle-able if you'd prefer to use and have the app on your phone to rent this one.



Though I haven't focused this post on the waterfalls in walking distance there is other stunning nature at every turn - like these water drops that can't decide whether to freeze or evaporate.

Yep, I like this town. And the best thing about it? My son lives here!


No comments:

Post a Comment