Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Monday, April 24, 2017

Arrivederci Venezia! Part 5 of 5, Venice, Veneto, Italy



I find that I am liking the timelessness of black and white images of Venice. This one could have been made last week or last century (except for the small speedboat in the distant background).



Like sardines in the can, or riders on a subway at rush hour, everyone packs onto the vaporettos for transport along the Grand Canal.



Some still take the slow boats.



This red boat is a postal package delivery service.



A view from onboard the vaporetto heading back to meet our ride back to Lucca. Note the yellow boat at right - it is the delivery service DHL.



A gondola glides by the vaporetto I am riding.



And another.



Considering the chaos of thousands of people pouring into Venice daily whether by car, bus, train, boat, ship, or plane, Venice's traffic officers keep the throngs moving in spite of the challenges at the main arrival point.

Some final thoughts: It is difficult to be a walking man in Venice. There are just too many people and crowds clogging the narrow arteries - it is difficult to keep up a consistent walking pace like when in Lucca

I expect that I was imagining it but, it sometimes felt like the earth or buildings were shifting, swaying underfoot. Whether stone, wood, stair, bridge, floor, store, house - I imagine I feel the slight shifts of the ground beneath my feet. Knowing this city was built upon the millions of trees cut for the purpose and driven into the ground, it predisposes me to think that way.

This whole amazing place is balancing on sticks - for centuries so far. So, the city is probably not moving as I imagine it. I must just have some old age vertigo and/or an overactive imagination. I did note that floors slope badly in odd ways whether inside stores, or houses, or on sidewalks, or footbridges. That said, I am surprised that doors seemed to open and close with such ease.

Arrivederci Venezia, it was great to visit you!


2 comments: