Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Saturday, April 22, 2017

A City Unlike Any Other, Part 3 of 5, Venice, Veneto, Italy



I removed the color in this image to create sort of a timeless feel.



One of only four bridges that span the Grand Canal, the Ponte dell'Accademia was near our house and I must have crossed it dozens of times in addition to taking night photos from it.



A touch gaudy perhaps but, part of the gondola charm.



I noticed many gondolas have mats for the gondolier to stand on the raised rear surface.  Perhaps to protect the finish and perhaps for better traction. It looks like quite a balancing act to stand and row.



I never did figure out the coloring system for the dock pilings - if there is one.



The waters are much calmer in the smaller side canals.....



...but the boat traffic can get busy and congested sometimes which can lead to minor disagreements.



I'll let you imagine what is being said between two gondoliers by this gesture and expression.



It is busy on the water with all the boat traffic. Everything - goods and people - move by water. The large vessel at above left is part of what amounts to the Venice bus transportation system - vaporettos.



But on land, photos rule the day. Selfie sticks are still popular here and for sale by roving hawkers.



This is a remarkable sight for one reason - it is the only street I encountered where I was the only human on it - a dark back alley apparently where the tourists do not normally go.



Where else but Venice would you enjoy live music of this style at an outdoor cafe?



So, I did it again. As in Part 1, I dragged my tired body out of the house after 10pm to see how tonight's full moon over the Grand Canal looked. I'm glad I did. It was much better than the last one - a sharper image, fewer clouds obscuring the moon, shutter speed 1/10 second, f1.8, ISO 5000 and less foot traffic tonight on the bridge to shake my camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment