White Horse Beach, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

White Horse Beach, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
White Horse Beach, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Race Point Light Sunset, Herring Cove Beach, Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA



I didn't intend to walk in the water.  Really.  I am an adult not a 5-year old. I had on regular shoes and socks - not the waterproof kind. The tide was going to be low, I was optimistic, and I thought I could stay on dry sand or sand bars and successfully walk from the Herring Cove Beach parking lot to Race Point Light under the conditions......



....but it was a long walk and it turned out even at low tide that there was a lot of water between us and the lighthouse.



I was with a group of Amy's photographers and our goal had been to photograph the sunset at Race Point Light and then a short while later, the moonrise from the opposite horizon. We were almost successful. The sky was certainly glorious enough but........



....try as I might, I couldn't get across all the water to get closer



I carried both of my point-and-shoot cameras on this walk.  My regular camera has a 1" sensor (Sony DSC-RX100M2) but only a 3.6X optical zoom (equivalent to about a 105mm zoom in 35mm camera language), and, my older model with a tiny 1/2.3" sensor (Sony DSC-WX500) but it has a 30X optical zoom (equivalent to about a 700mm lens).



The water was warm on my soggy feet, the air temp and breeze were comfortable, gulls were crying out, and the sky was on fire.



It was a special moment in a beautiful spot on the planet.



After I returned home, it took my shoes three days to dry out....... I'm not sure they'll ever be the same. I like being 5-years old again.

I walked way farther over more difficult sand than I had expected or desired. The long trip back to the parking lot was in near total darkness but, all in all, I felt enriched and inspired by the beauty of this hard-earned sunset, standing in a wetlands with an iconic lighthouse in the distance, feeling the richness of natural life all around me.

I earned that view and it was even better because I had to expend a lot of effort to achieve it. Another life lesson........especially for a 5-year old in wet shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment