Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Sunday, January 2, 2022

First Night, Boston, Massachusetts, USA




The temporary stage at Copley Square hosted a number of performers throughout the day as part of the First Night celebration in Boston. Pandemic or not, thousands were out to enjoy the festivities. Nearly everyone I saw wore a mask. My adventure began with a walk from the car park at Post Office Square to the Park Street MBTA station and a Green Line subway ride to Copley Square. It was packed with masked riders. I could have easily walked instead but, I always get a kick out of subways so opted for that method on this evening. Besides, the fare is reduced for seniors - and I can sit in the special seat if I'm first!



A duck or an octopus? There were fewer ice sculptures this year due to above average temperatures leading up to New Year's eve. It was mid-40's today with no wind - very pleasant to be out and about - unless you are an ice sculpture.



I walked from Copley Square to the Common along Boylston Street which was closed to car traffic in preparation for the parade. I enjoyed this view of the bridge across the lagoon in the Public Garden. It had a nice glow in the drizzly humid air.



I made a brief detour down Commonwealth Avenue Mall to see the lights.



The view westward from Boston Common in early evening. Throngs were gathering for the 7pm fireworks display on the ballfield. In the distance, selected office windows with lights on in the Prudential Tower show the coming new year - 2022.



Police presence was noticeable though I didn't personally see any misbehavior. Of course, this was early evening and families and kids were out in the thousands - not exactly known for their wild partying. 


After the fireworks, I started my walk back to the car park in the increasing rain. I like the random blurry effects - from the rain droplets on my lens.



Rain and drizzle glistened on Washington Street in the Theatre District.



Like a moth to a flame, I was drawn to the powerful voice of this street musician who was audible a few blocks away. If I was a music producer, I might have signed her on the spot. What a great voice.



The colonnade in Leventhal Park above the garage was wet and nearly deserted as my visit drew to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment