Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, May 21, 2021

A Walk Down Broadway, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA



On my last day of this trip to the big city, I chose to walk the length of Broadway from Central Park down to Trinity Church in lower Manhattan. It's about a 5-mile hike and passes through much of iconic New York City and encounters numerous characters and sights along the way. It began here where I emerged from the subway after riding up from Penn Station/34th Street.



Simple wooden pushcarts of yesteryear have long since been replaced by these modern stores on wheels at Columbus Circle.

Over the years, there have been dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of songs written about Broadway. Granted, I did this walk during the daytime but, the one that was stuck on endless replay in my head was the classic Bee Gees tune, "Nights on Broadway." A tune now more than 45 years old since its 1975 release. Here's a snippet at this link if you need a reminder. And yes, I am now old enough to be able to proudly admit, I liked many of the Bee Gees tunes back in the day. It's hard to beat those tight chords of three brothers singing together in genetic harmony. (Fact: they are among the very best-selling musical acts in the history of the world - who would have guessed). 



Like all the live performance venues, this one is still closed during the pandemic.


Hugh Jackman - he's not just the Wolverine in the X-men movies, ya know. And Sutton Foster is no slouch either - if my eyesight is accurate, her name is in slightly bigger type face than his. Perhaps that is how to "split the baby" - he gets top billing but, she gets a bigger typeface.



This view is from atop the red stairs in Times Square. The gaggle of humans at the center of this image are politicians speechifying about recent events in the city - and angling to be the next mayor.



Candidate Andrew Yang at the podium.


The juxtaposition of quilted jacketed tourists walking by the underwear-only clad, "Naked Cowboy," was jarring to say the least. It wasn't really warm enough on this morning to be outside in just underwear but, I am more sensitive to the cold than some.........of course, I am not one to be outside in my underwear anyway.


Various cartoon and otherwise characters pose with tourists - for a cash donation I think.


It's not possible to drive uninterrupted along the length of Broadway since at many locations along the way it reverts to a pedestrian-only area with cafes, tables, chairs, art displays, whatever.


Dunkin' had a portable store here where they were passing out some new fruit-based drink to willing passersby - and of course someone dressed up like a very large cuppa'.


Al fresco dining at its best - location, location, location.


Art in the street - literally.


And art on the street.


The Kate Spade company dispatched an army of bicyclists to pass out live flower bouquets to people - what a New York thing to do!



I didn't understand the attraction of lining up to enter this hat store. When I peeked in the window it just looked like a basic hat store selling ball-caps. I guess it's a New York thing - line-up and wait for an in-demand item.


Now here's a place worth standing in line for - if they give out samples.


I don't know what the NYPD thinks of me taking a picture of them taking a picture of me but, I didn't get a knock on my door later on to find out so, I guess it was okay. Still, the irony of being surveilled at an intersection with "Liberty" Street was a bit much.



A peek-a-boo view of Trinity Church between the New York Stock Exchange and One Wall Street Condos. If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.


This is a typical tourist gift shop selling all things New York - mini statue of liberty key chains, anyone?



All good walks must come to an end. And this one ended here, where I reentered the subway world at Fulton Street for my final trip back uptown to Penn Station.

Goodbye, New York, thanks for the memories. You're a great place to visit. I'll have to return since I still have some dollars worth of credit remaining on my subway fare card - good ploy.


No comments:

Post a Comment