Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Newbury Street, Back Bay, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

 

On this visit to the big city, I wanted to take a stroll out and back on Newbury Street (sort of the "5th Avenue" of Boston), but the winter wind was so strong from the west that I took a different approach.



I decided instead to catch a Green Line subway train at the Park Street station and ride it west to the Hynes Convention Center stop and then walk back along Newbury Street so I'd have the wind to my back.



There were very few folks waiting for the next train.



And when I got onboard..........



....there were very few people in the seats.



Just a few station stops later, I was walking east on Newbury Street, both the wind and sun to my back as desired.



It was a perfect day for outdoor dining (if you don't mind the chill) or just strolling along.



Or sitting on a stoop reading the paper in the direct sunshine.



I am not sure if these partial mannequins are an art installation or an advertisement - or both.



The Boston subway system (the oldest in the United States) is not exactly the Paris Metro but, this station does have some nice fancy ironwork at the entrance. (And not on Newbury St.)



Though also not on Newbury Street, I made a detour here to Copley Plaza to gaze at the Trinity Church and the nearby John Hancock Tower skyscraper (the tallest building in Boston at 790') designed by the late world renowned architect I.M. Pei.



As usual, a delightful visit to an always great city.


3 comments:

  1. My old stomping grounds! I LOVE Newbury St. Wonderful
    pix today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priscilla, thanks for your comment. I do so enjoy wandering around in all of Back Bay and was just there again yesterday in the gray brooding overcast. I'll have blog about it in a few weeks. Joe

      Delete
  2. Will look forward to seeing it! My family friend used to own a frame shop on Newury St ..Bunnell Frames. It was under the building! It was the busiest coziest place!

    ReplyDelete