Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Confession of an Electricity Addict, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA



I don't remember the last time I was without electricity for an extended period of time - no heat, no stove, no light, no water, no internet - just the unrelenting silence of a "dead" house, the only sound is the blizzard wind raging outside as the snow continues to blow sideways and pile up and the temperature drops below freezing.

I realize the truth: I am an electricity addict. Much of what I do routinely, day in day out, involves electricity. Without it, I can read books, I can write with pen and paper, I can play my acoustic guitar, I can nap or sleep, and I can eat the cold uncooked food in the fridge or cupboards. I can think and reflect. It is a sobering experience but, I am in very good spirits.

I spent about $800 on electricity last year to support my lifestyle. I think that's a mighty good value for what it provides me: the creature comforts of heat, light, water, internet, television, laundry machines, and more.

What if I have to live this way all night? tomorrow? next week? permanently? could I? would I? All the other creatures and plants on this planet do so, only humans do not. In the eons that humans have been on this planet, it is only since the late 1800's that we have enjoyed electricity and many on this planet still do not have it. But there are those of us who expect it, have built a life dependent upon it and, are spoiled by it. I must face the truth: I am an electricity addict.

As the day wears on, it gets colder and colder inside. Outside, the wind and snow rages on. I pile on more layers of clothes, wrap myself in blankets. I can't face taking a cold shower, instead I drag a cold washcloth across my skin.

I think about when the electricity will return. I imagine what I might do first and second and so on. My hands are cold, my fingers stiff. My stocking cap is pulled down over my ears, my hands encased in gloves but still, I am cold. I am weak and soft, thoroughly spoiled by my electricity.

As night approaches and the storm continues to rage, I think surely the power will come back by dark - but it does not. I am like the birds and squirrels and the other creatures that populate my neighborhood - life pauses with the onset of darkness. Time to hunker down and wait and hope.

I am alone, isolated, disconnected from the world. Stranded by the snow and ice and wind. I am trapped in my cold house and still the storm rages. My thoughts and dreams and wishes keep me company. I want my electricity back. I am an addict.

I have about 12 hours of darkness to get through - it will be long and tedious and cold.



I am not accustomed to this. I have spent nearly every day of this 65-year life connected to the magic flow of electrical power. I walk up and down the inside stairs to warm up. I think of batteries and candles and generators and flashlights and wonder when will the electrical umbilicus nourish me again. The hands of the clock move at a snail's pace (battery powered). Time seems to have slowed down. Tomorrow, if the power does not return I must clear the snow and escape this cold dark world and find warmth.

Humans are not evolved to thrive at 42 degrees north latitude without support. I think of the many homeless, routinely living outdoors under bridges and overpasses, hoping to survive through the night - this is their normal only it is much worse for them.

It's been nine hours, it is cold and dark now, my water supply is gone - there is no electricity to power the water pump and the pipes have drained of what they had within. And suddenly, the lights come on, the furnace fires up, the water pump charges the pipes - I am positively giddy with delight. I get out of bed, remove my hat and gloves and blankets and layers and joyfully celebrate it all.

I am an electricity addict.



The morning after.....


The electricity has remained on...... I am happy.....with tongue firmly in cheek.


No comments:

Post a Comment