Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Greatest Hits of 2014 - Milo the Cat

Last year, I created about 20,000 images with my point-and-shoot camera(s).  Of those, I published about 2,000 in 329 separate blog posts. I sat down recently and wandered through those 2,000 images and decided to select maybe 20 of them to re-publish as my "Greatest Hits of 2014," along with a comment about why I think each one is among my best.

First, a comment about digital photography. Comparing digital to film, if I use a purchase price of $7 per roll (for a 36-exposure roll of color film) and add another $13 per roll to process as a benchmark, those 20,000 images would have used about 555 rolls at a total cost of more than $11,000! which would have been unaffordable.

Since I didn't use film, my only cost was the memory card and batteries in the camera. Essentially zero cost per image. No wonder digital camera photography has taken the world by storm.

****************************************************************************
My first image pick for my Greatest Hits of 2014 was of Milo, our cat. His short life ended in 2014. He was the first and only pet in all my 62 years on the planet with whom I shared his entire lifespan.  I can look at this image of him and almost hear him talking/yowling or wandering through the house looking for some mischief or someone to cuddle with.

We brought him home when he was a tiny kitten, a rescue from the nearby animal shelter, an orange fuzz ball of boundless energy. He was such a sweet, warm, trusting, and funny little creature. I miss him dearly. His power to evoke such strong emotions made him my first pick for Greatest Hits of 2014.

This image is all about my choice of cropping that just emphasizes small parts of him. The stiff pure white whiskers, a single green eye, the orange fur, the gentle demeanor - all these elements combine to make this a strong image.


No comments:

Post a Comment