Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Monday, September 16, 2013

Retaking the Canal, Cape Cod Canal, Bourne, Massachusetts, USA

The kids are back in school again, the moms and dads are back home or at work, the fast-pedaling spandex clad bicyclists are gone, the grasshoppers are jumping on or beside the path - the canal has been returned to those of us "of a certain age."

My observation is that these are people who have learned to relax, slow down, and enjoy the world around them.  Folks who know the clock is ticking and may stop abruptly at any time.

Every half mile along the 7-mile path/road  (6.5 miles on the south side of the canal, 7 on the north), they paint a marker like this.  It's handy if you like to keep track of the distance you walk (I do), as long as you don't forget which number you started on (I do). And by the way, ever notice that grasshoppers are directionally challenged?  As I walked down the path, many were sitting on the asphalt.  As I got close, they would jump - but some would jump away, some would jump to the side, and some would jump at my legs.  It's as if they can't control which way they go - they don't think, they just jump - sort of like happy labrador puppies but smaller and not as cute.  

Bicycles outfitted for serious fishing are common among the senior population.

Some folks have a wheeled cart to bring their chairs, umbrella, lunch, drinks, reading materials, raincoats, laptops, and blankies and settle in for day and watch the boats go by.

Sometimes I wonder why I like to walk here - generally I don't like asphalt. I think it is because this is the closest I can get to the walking experience I most enjoy - a miles long, flat, hard-packed sand beach.

Sun, breeze, boats, birds, bikes, book - what more does one need? - perhaps a blankie for a nap! A nice place to enjoy the golden years until it's time to head south for warmth.  How did they get to do this? Generally, they were and are thrifty, purposeful, and live within their means - sounds like a great plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment