Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Monday, December 3, 2012

Pilgrim Memorial, Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

The Pilgrim Memorial commemorates the first landing of the Mayflower Pilgrims in 1620 (they were here before they went to Plymouth).  I made a visit on this cold, windy fall day.  Temperatures were in the mid-30's, the wind was blowing 15+, and there was not a cloud in the sky. Considering these conditions, it is not surprising that I was the only human in the memorial during the hour or so I spent there. The monument stands about 250  feet tall on top of a 100 foot tall hill providing a commanding 360 degree view from 350 feet above sea level.

The cornerstone was laid in 1907 by the President of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt.  Think about that - this monument was a big deal back then.  It probably took a few days just to get there, perhaps on the Presidential Yacht if they had one back then - certainly no airplanes and helicopters for a quick in and out visit.  Three years later, the next President, William Taft, also came to Provincetown and led the dedication ceremony.  (By the way, the odd wires trailing down from the top are seasonal holiday lights).

This is the view looking up at the staircase inside the monument.  [I took some Photoshop liberties with the lighting and color].

Mattapoisett - there's that name I like again - many towns and cities have donated a placque on the interior walls.

I may be getting older but, here's proof I can still go up 116 steps and 60 ramps to climb to the top of the monument. It is the tallest all-granite structure in the United States and the design is patterned after the Torre Del Mangia in Siena, Italy.

Steel bars and mesh, thick lexan/plexi-glass, and granite walls prevent those who want to try flying without wings from having an opportunity.

But I did have to scooch out some to get an unobstructed view - I tried to get a better view but the bars got in the way. Hey, that sounds like it could be a line from a bad country music song.  Maybe something like......I got too drunk and got throwed in jail, I tried to get a better view but the bars got in the way....... Okay, so I'm not going to be a lyricist for my next career.

View to the east, the Atlantic Ocean on the horizon.  The memorial's shadow in the foreground.

View to the southeast, Cape Cod Bay at center and right.

View to the south, the curve of Cape Cod stretches into the distance, the Provincetown wharf and harbor at center right.

And finally, the view looking down the stairway.  [For this effect in Photoshop Elements  I de-saturated the color, added some brightness, and increased the contrast]. Don't ask how I got way out over the center of the opening - it wasn't pretty.


4 comments:

  1. I know, I couldn't believe my eyes when I was there and read that both Roosevelt and Taft were there. It was a big deal back then. I also heard that the choosers of the design were sick of Obelisks (like the Washington and Bunker Hill Monuments) and wanted something different, thus the Sienna design, which is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did a great job. It still boggles the mind that people could build tall structures with big, heavy granite blocks using fairly simple tools. Not quite as dramatic as the pyramids but impressive engineering nonetheless. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Right, Like the Minot Lighthouse off Cohasset. The first one was washed away in a storm. The rebuilt it. The had a template on shore where the Granite Blocks were pre-assembled, then taken by barge to the shoal. No power tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if that wasn't difficult enough, I guess then they had to unload them from a rocking boat and somehow hoist into place.

      Delete