Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

10 Fingers


I was listening to a piano concerto on a walk the other day. Wow, does that sound like a pretentious comment or what? (Disclosure: I listen to country music more often than piano concertos). It is miraculous to me that one can train one's ten fingers to do so many different things simultaneously and sequentially, maintain a consistent rhythm, and have such musical beauty produced as a result.

My ten fingers don't take individual direction very well. My ten fingers can barely type successfully and seldom accurately on a computer keyboard....... and if truth be told, I mostly just use seven of them - but I'm really partial to my favorite two. Wasn't there a little children's ditty about thumbkin, pointer, tall man, ring man, and pinkie that was popular 50+ years ago?  I'm partial to pointer - but I reluctantly admit I have used tall man on occasion when driving in rush hour commuter traffic.

And if your fingers can't type or play the piano, at least you can dress them up as puppets....

No comments:

Post a Comment