Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, September 27, 2019

The Deer Whisperer, South Hill Recreation Way, Ithaca, New York, USA



A 3.4 mile portion of a former railway route, the South Hill Recreation Way, is now a trail very near where I am staying in Ithaca. The railroad was built in 1849 to haul coal from Pennsylvania to Ithaca for transport on the Erie Canal. It was abandoned in 1957. It a delight to walk on it as it has been graded for a train and in the otherwise steep terrain around town, I enjoy that feature.



This is my fourth day walking it, and each day more leaves are on the ground. On each walk, I have seen a deer family of four in about the same place munching away. They run away when I approach. Today, I became the "deer whisperer" - as I approached them and they saw me, I stopped and started speaking in a calm and even voice. Then I gently moved toward them still speaking. At about 30 feet away I stopped again and kept speaking. They watched intently and then THEY moved toward me while continuing to eat greenery.



Unfortunately, a jogger came along and frightened them away but, it was remarkable and special while it lasted. Now I can add "deer whisperer" to my retiree's resume.


No comments:

Post a Comment