Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, April 22, 2016

Out and About, Centro, Madrid, Spain



The journey towards home continues. We drove six hours from Jerez to Madrid to turn in our leased car and spend the last three days in downtown Madrid before flying home to the United States. These two folks I found wandering about near the Royal Palace. This is not how regular Spaniards dress but, these two folks wander around posing for photographs and then expect some tip/compensation - looks like an effective way to make a living - tourists caught up in the moment are always willing to spend a Euro on impulse - even a cheapskate like me - I gave them a Euro to share but they insisted on one each.



Looking into the side courtyard of the Royal Palace



A produce stand inside the Mercado de San Miguel near Plaza Mayor. The sign says, in eight languages, "Do Not Touch." But they were so perfect and juicy...........I only touched one very gently - honest.



This fine establishment near Puerta del Sol is the Museo del Jamon which I guess translates as the Ham Museum.  That would normally surprise me but, after two months in Spain, nothing related to ham surprises me anymore.



Frankly though, I think the term "museum" is stretching the truth.  As far as I could tell, it was simply a retail store selling all things ham.



Usually, the device that holds the pig's leg for slicing the thin pieces is on the other side of the counter from the public.  For this one, however, they cut out part of the glass counter-top so the hoof was up close and personal to interested folks. If they could only figure out how to make vegan ham....... 


No comments:

Post a Comment