Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Monday, June 30, 2014

Flag Rock, White Horse Beach, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

I am delighted to see that the flag has been repainted on flag rock at White Horse Beach. And just in time for the annual Independence Day hoopla! The flag painting apparently began in the 1940's when someone painted a swastika on the rock. Local folks painted over it with an American flag and a tradition was born.

I wish I had seen the actual painting being done.  I can't imagine how one balances in a boat at high tide and manages to paint straight lines. This gull and many others who roost on the rock are responsible for "painting" much of the white, if you get my meaning.



I like how the ripple in the rock surface makes the flag seem as if it is moving.


No comments:

Post a Comment