Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Sunday, October 15, 2017

46th Annual Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, Part 3 of 6 - Daytime, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA



For nine days in early October, the spectacular event known as the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta unfolds in the mile-high city of Albuquerque, New Mexico in the southwestern United States. As many as 500 balloons may participate in this ritual every morning at the Fiesta. It is the largest balloon gathering in the world.

This blog post is Part 3 of a multi-part series about my recent experience there and covers the daytime as sunlight flooded the Fiesta grounds. Part 1 covered the pre-dawn activity. Part 2 covered the dawn activity.

(Click on an image to view a higher resolution version if your device supports that action).



The sun pops over the top of the nearby Sandia mountains and begins to bathe the launch field in light, warmth, and anticipation among the crowd.



With the increasing light, more and more balloon crews are readying their ships for flight.

It surprises me in a very pleasant way that spectators are permitted to roam relatively freely among the operational flight area. Somehow, I can't imagine the East coast mentality where I live allowing that to occur - they would more than likely cordon off the area in the name of safety and security, prohibit spectators, station guards and law enforcement everywhere, and generally suck much of the fun and excitement out of the experience. Kudos to the organizers for truly creating and facilitating an extraordinary spectator experience - the largest event of its kind in the world.



I hope you enjoy these images - and yes, I have included way too many of them - scroll quickly.







































Often, a crew member holds a tether line to help keep the envelope in place as it is inflated.



















It is a big field at Fiesta Park where this event is held - about 78 acres - roughly the size of 56 American football fields. My dilemma is where to locate myself for the "perfect" viewing and photography angle. I decided to keep the bright sun at my back, pay attention to the wind direction and which way the balloons would drift after launch (wind in excess of 10-knots shuts down the launch activity at the Fiesta), where the media tent was located, where the television stations set-up, and where the sponsor tents were located. Based on all that I chose my general area to hang out - but, there was so much happening elsewhere across the field, I could barely stay put. I just couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to be everywhere at once and missing something better elsewhere.



Perhaps I should have taken a ride/flight.  That would have kept me stationary in a basket. Like this young passenger who is ready to fly.....



.....and off she goes......



.....into the wild blue yonder!











Another flight crew awaiting clearance from a launch director/zebra.



Clearance to launch given, off they go.



I think the designer of the green ship at right above,  had a challenge on how/where to attach the basket.



Designs seem limited only by the imagination (and budget).



At right, the merchandise vendors were selling miniature plastic balloons of many shapes and sizes, here, juxtaposed with the real things.



The television/videographers had a nice fixed ringside platform from which to film the event. Me, I'd rather be roaming the grounds.







One of ten gazillion selfies and portraits I saw being made over the course of the morning.



This flight director/zebra clears the launch path of spectators.



He gives the pilot the thumbs-up to proceed.



Then offers a good-bye salute.



The crowd wasn't the only happy people here today.  The launch directors/zebras were having as much fun as anybody!







If you look closely at this basket, you'll note it isn't a basket but rather......



..... more of a porch swing kind of seat.  I wish I had made a close-up picture. This image is a grainy enlargement from the previous one just to give you an idea.  I think personally that I would much prefer this kind of flight than the basket version - fewer obstructions to vision as I am flying along looking around. Food for thought for next time........although one might get wet feet doing a touch and go on the Rio Grande in this style seat.



As the day progressed, I have never seen so many sustained smiling faces gathered together in my life. There are really a lot of people here - tens of thousands - and they are really happy to be here. It is a magical and magnificent spectacle to see and feel and be a part of. I talked to a couple New Mexico State Police officers on duty who both confirmed my observation that this is a remarkably friendly, happy, safe, and crime-free event.

I also met and  talked with one 84-year old man who has been coming for the past 41 years. That's devotion.



But all good things must end and the morning is drawing to a close, the last few balloons are about to launch, the crowd has thinned, many folks are heading home to rest before returning for the evening events.  

My acknowledgement to the 165 sponsors, the 550 registered pilots including participants from 23 other countries, and the hundreds of thousands of visitors who make all this possible.  

By the way, an "average" balloon is about 70 feet tall and uses about 30 gallons of propane a day for the Fiesta events. Considering the humble beginning of ballooning in the 1780's in France, this event in Albuquerque brings in more than 177 million dollars of economic impact to the area (2015 data). Quite an evolution.

Check back in again soon - a few more blogs to come!


2 comments: