Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Friday, September 29, 2017

Deer, Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA



My yard has a hockey rink sized shallow pond in the middle of it. I was eating lunch looking out from inside the sunroom and these three, a mom and two young-uns, let me sit and watch for almost ten minutes as they ate, drank, romped, cavorted, jumped as if they had not a care in the world - just living in the moment. They have never before allowed me to sit and watch. They always run away on sight. Not this time. What changed? Maybe since they were on home turf - it's their home too, just like me - perhaps somehow they "get" that concept - although more likely, I am anthropomorphising. They looked at me many times as I cautiously moved about inside the glass room.

(Click on an image to view a higher resolution version if your device supports that action).



When I first saw them, I did not have a camera at hand. Based on past experience, I knew when I stood up to go to another room to get a camera they would spook and run - at least that is what has happened many times in the past. But not this time - I grabbed Amy's Canon 6D, put on the 70-300mm lens, walked back in, sat down, and proceeded to get this series of images looking through double-paned glass windows.



I don't know much about deer but, mama's ribs being so visible suggests she is not getting enough to eat - even though they eat our bushes and flowers regularly.











































An amazing ten minutes. How lucky was I that this mid afternoon summer light dappling the play area rivaled that of other famous places of light - Paris, Provence, Tuscany, Venice, - and now, add Manomet to this list.


1 comment: