Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Wandering Around - Part 1 - Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Those of you regular readers know that sometimes this is a travel blog. It is also true that one person's foreign destination is someone else's home.  Since many of my readers are from other parts of the world, they think of my home area, Boston, as a foreign destination.  So, I thought I'd try to be a tourist here and tell you a little bit about Boston as a visitor.

Every trip the world over to a big city starts with a decision about how to get there - train, plane, bus, boat, car, bike, or foot.  In my case, the most painless (and least expensive) way into the city is on mass transit, the subway system, locally referred to as the "T."  Driving to the southernmost point on the Red Line, my trip begins in Braintree.

The Boston subway system claims title as the oldest in the United States.

If you travel on a weekday after rush-hour and get on at the first stop, it's usually pleasantly uncrowded.

Farther in the journey, there are more riders. In the old days, most people read newspapers - today, only one person had a paper, the rest had a digital device.

For $1.60 each way, I enjoyed sitting quietly and people-watching instead of spending the 45 minutes driving in a car in heavy traffic, then paying $20-40 for parking in the city. If I were 65 years old, the subway fare would only be $1.05 - there are advantages to getting older.

In another post, more about what I saw in the city on this visit.........


No comments:

Post a Comment