Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Riomaggiore, Cinque Terre, Liguria, Italy

Much to the consternation of my car passengers, when I saw this sight I braked hard and pulled over to the steep edge of the narrow road. But I couldn't help myself, it may be the most beautiful stretch of coastline I have ever seen.  The town is Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the five coastal towns in the Cinque Terre National Park.  The park includes the coastline, villages, and hillsides along this stretch of the northwestern Italian Riviera coastline in the Province of Liguria. For many centuries, the local people have lived by fishing the Ligurian Sea, and farming the steep terraces carved into the hillsides. Connected by a narrow winding road and narrow footpaths, the "Five Lands" (Cinque Terre) are popular with tourists and bring a boost to the local economies through tourism. 

Same view, zoomed-in a bit closer.

Once down in the town I scampered across the rocks - to the extent a man my age can scamper - and found this pretty view of the narrow harbor entrance  from the rocks along the breakwater.

The fishermen pull their boats down this ramp and into the sea to pursue their livelihood. And back up the steep ramp and hill at the end of the day.

The compact town has narrow alleys and a warren of steep steps and paths that lead to homes, hotels, terraces with vineyards, even a small cemetery.

All that walking on steep roads and paths makes for big hunger and this outdoor cafe just off the harbor along the main street was a great place for lunch.

Through the drinking glass.......

After lunch I wish I could have joined these folks on the breakwater rocks - the crashing waves the only sounds to lull them to sleep. Another spectacular place in a country of spectacular places - and I've seen only a tiny portion of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment