Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Walking Man, Cape Cod Canal, Bourne, Massachusetts, USA

I've mentioned here before that I'm a walking man. There is something physically and mentally transporting about gliding along on one's own feet for long periods of time uninterrupted. The act of walking occurs in real time at a human pace. The world isn't rushing by as it would if riding a bike or skating or operating some other vehicle. (And yes, that is a photo of my Earth shoe, but no, I do not own any Birkenstocks).

When you're on foot it's easy to avoid little critters like this one trying to cross the path.

One of the especially nice things about walking the canal is that there is almost no litter - the staff picks up anything dropped pretty quickly and regularly. And especially nice, there are almost no cigarette butts. I guess most smokers don't walk along the trail.

Shadow man often walks with me and he wears many hats. Whether he has on his pac man head....

....his regular head......

....or his lego-man head, shadow man walks on, just like me - he's a walking man, and a walking man walks.

And as a walking man, I don't  have to drag along another pair of shoes behind me unlike most boaters who have to drag along a smaller boat of some sort (or hoist it onboard).

Sometimes though the boat roles are reversed: little boats have to drag big boats along behind.  Me, I'd rather just walk. I plan on 80 minutes to walk four miles including brief water/picture/bathroom stops. That's 80 minutes of exercise good for all bodily systems, with an added bonus of.uninterrupted listening to music. I think I can get used to this retirement stuff......

2 comments: