Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA
Manomet, Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

GIF


GIF is an acronym for Graphics Interchange Format. The simple explanation is - it allows you to create the illusion of motion with as few as two still photos. That's the extent of my technical knowledge.  They are odd looking but strangely appealing to me.

Here's a Wikipedia reference at this link if you want more detail. The GIF was introduced by CompuServ in 1987. I remember Compuserv as my first internet provider back when I had a computer with a 40 MB hard drive - or maybe it was only 40 KB - I can't remember for sure. I feel old......

Each of the following is made up of only two still photos. The rate of change from one to the other is different, however. 

Amber waves of grain - er, uh, weeds.....

Canal grass.

Human smiles.

There are apparently a number of websites that offer the ability to build a GIF.  I used Gif Ninja. A site called Create a GIF looks interesting and has additional special effects but I haven't tried it yet.

1 comment: